How to hire a website designer and not lose your money
How to Hire a Website Designer And Not Lose Your Money
How to hire a website designer and not lose your money is one of the most asked question throughout the internet. There are thousands of web designers on the planet, and choosing the right person or company to create or redo your website can be a grueling process. Knowing what to look for can save you time and a whole lot of cash. I have had many clients who have been ripped off by so-called web designer expert. These jerks prey on men and women who do not know much about the creation process of designing a website. Well, I’m going to give you a free education on all of it. So, sit back grab a pen, paper, if your an adult grab a glass of adult type libation else a cold soda works just as well. “It’s Time To Get Webucated” @ KevU.
How to hire a website designer and not lose your money, but first pick a good domain name?
The first thing after you realize that you need a website is to pick a relative domain name. That’s that “http://www.yourdomainname.com” at the top of the browser. Choosing a great domain name is very important. Here is an example of a bad domain name for a company that sell’s cookies. (http://www.roundchewythings.com). This domain tells you nothing about what you are selling. It might sound cute but google does not care about how cut a name sounds, Google care if the name is relative to the content on the site. The name “http://www.cookiesforsale.com” makes better since.
If you were a photographer and were commissioned to take a picture of a family on the beach, would you dress them in cowboy gear? I hope not. Choose a name that is relative to what your content is about on the site. If the name of your company is “Zazodic” and you sell eyeglasses, you could choose the domain name “http://wwww.affordableglasses.com” (always try to get the .com extension. It’s still #1). When you create your website put your Zazodic logo at the top of the page. BAM! your in business.
If you are kinda stuck on trying to come up with a cleaver domain name, there are many free website that will auto generate a good url (domain name) for you. Just Google “domain name online generators“.
Now that you have a great domain name, its time to register it. This is where the domain thief can steels your candy. I have had a lot of client ask me to re-design a website using an existing domain name. The first question I ask them is “do you own the domain name?” I get this look from them like I was born with two heads. “I think so” they say. After doing a “Whois” domain name search, I find out the person who created their website register that domain name not in the owners name but the their name. This breaks my heart to have to tell them they do not own their domain name.
MAKE SURE YOU OWN THE DOMAIN NAME. No butts – No nothing. You should always register the name yourself. Use your credit or debit card, not your friends or the web designers. Protect yourself from domain thieves.
How to hire a website designer and not lose your money will show you the next step. Now that we have have registered your domain name, it’s time to find a company or person to craft your dream website. Here is my outline of what I believe you should be looking for in a website designer.
- Reviews – Reviews and (did I say it) REVIEWS. I believe every website designed has a website they created for their company. This is how the show their work. They have their domain name registered with Google. Search their company name, just Google their company name followed by the word review. Like so “that’s my computer guy review”. If the are in another city and state. Google “that’s my computer guy review lithia FL”. Reviews tell you what type of company you are thinking about hiring. If the company is rotten, then Google reviews will show you. The only person who can remove a Google review, is the person who wrote the review. Just remember, sometimes people create bad review because they are hard to deal with. A 4.6 star review is a good company. If there is a bad review, look at how the company handled the complaint.
- Look at the companies body of work. If the company your thinking about hiring to design your website is using old technology, then it’s best to look elsewhere. Look for companies that have sound vision in their work. Clean designs. Clean contact forms. Easy to understand the content. Remember “You are the boss” the designer is the tool.
- Never pay all your money up front unless you are 100% sure you can trust the designer. A lot of people have lost money doing this. Pay half up front and the rest after the job is done. If SEO (search engine optimization) is part of the job, make sure your site is coming up with the key phrase you paid for before you hand over the final payment.
- Make sure you have you own username and password added to the user section if you are using a platform like WordPress or Joomla.
- Ask lot of question – The website designer should be able to answer every question you have about building your website. You should know the final cost, time of completion and any documents the designer might need from you to complete your amazing website.
This how to hire a website designer and not lose your money article should save you a lot of money and headaches. Now that you are armed to the teeth with good information, get out their champ and build that awesome website. If I can ever be of service you or your company. Give me a call at: 813-424-837
“You are the Power Behind The Content”